Sunday, June 9, 2013

Book Review: Wonder Struck

Wonder Struck by Brain Gelznick

Wonderstruck

I am so happy I went to the children's section and picked up this book. The children's section has some AWESOME books! Lemme tell you I will be there more often. Anywho's

I really enjoyed this book. It is the first book that I have read that is structured in a way that one moment words tell a story and the next the pictures are telling the story and eventually somehow those the pictures and words get meshed together in the same story. So exciting! I definitely want to read more of Brains work! I also like that he did much research in order to write this book :)

Let the ratings begin ( drum roll) 

Characters ()

 I believe that the characters were very likable. I imagine how would it feel to be deaf. Ben one of the main characters is a deaf boy who is on an journey to find the father he has never met or known. I like how strong willed and brave he is.He wanted to find his father so he took the clues he found from around his house and searched. If you want to find something, go find it.
Even though Ben has never met his father through his grandmother's story and through many clues we learn about him and the father although not in the story has such personality and so does his mother. All the characters have their own distinct and unique personalities.

Setting ()

The setting was pretty clear. The pictures that he drew along with his his descriptive writing made seeing the setting easier,  I could see the difference between Minnesota which seem more country and New York Which is the bust city. It was soo much fun imagining the characters for myself as I read in the beginning of the book and actually seeing them as the story unfolded. AHHH so exciting. You'll see once you read it  :)

Conflict (★)

 The conflict was very beautiful. One conflict was Ben's search for his father and him being deaf.  In a way i could connect to Ben in his search for his father .Our situations are different but I still really related somehow and that part of the story was beautiful as well. Also the other conflict was a girl who was longing for freedom. she too was deaf and kept in the house because of it.

Time Pacing and Writing  (★)

Both of these characters stores took place during different times and somehow came together. the pacing went very well. there were a few times i looked at the difference in time periods but youll understand as you read along. I really liked how Brain wrote this story


Bonus Thingy: Isn't the cover beautiful and the pictures inside. Not only is Brian and authour but he is an investigator, an reporter, an adventurer and an artist, ha-ha

Therefore:

I give this book,drum roll please ( ★) stars. I am so tempted to give it a 5 stars. I happened to really like it and it is pretty inspiring. I will be reading more of Brian's book and possible also be looking at him and his writing from not only a reading point of view but also a writers. :)

THANK YOU BRAIN FOR SUCH A GOOD READ!!!! <3

I would recommend Wonder Struck to anyone. Kid, Teenager, Young Adult( I'm 21 so i am a reference), Adults :)

 Carly


No comments:

Post a Comment